Medan City Tour
Starts at the old fundamental sq of Medan City Tour, the Lapangan Merdeka (Independence square), in former times called Esplanade. Along this sq are the central buildings of the town, a few of them originating from colonial times like the Lonsum construction of the British Harrisons & Crosfield company, in former days called the Julianagebouw, build in 1911, the offices of the Netherlands Indian Trading Bank and the Netherlands Trading Company construct from the 1920s, the old town and town halls from 1908, the office of the Bank Indonesia, dating back to 1907, Hotel Dharma Deli (resort De Boer) construct in 1898 and the postoffice from 1911.
Goes through different ethnic quarters of Medan, first during the Chinese quarter at which you may still see remnants of traditional Chinese shophouses. Further on do you pass through samples of the Amsterdam School of Architecture like the Catholic Church and the swimmingpool. The 2nd part of this route goes via the so called Sultans-kampong, the grounds of the Sultan of Deli. Here we pass by the beautiful Grand Mosque out of 1906 and the Maimoon Palace from 1889, equally construct by Dutch architects. From the Sultanskampong we push throughout the oldest road of Medan, the Kesawan, with a Great Deal of remnants of days gone by like the AVROS and Varekamp buildings, Tip Top restaurant, the Tjong A Fie mansion, the Stork building along with the former department store of Seng Hap. This route ends at the fundamental sq..
Leads along the prior impressive headoffice of the Deli tobacco Company followed by the oldest hospital of Medan, dating back to the 1880s and some former homes of employees of the Deli Railroad Company in the so called Serdang quarter. Here we pass by the beautiful former headoffice of the Deli Railroad Company construct in 1917.
Starts again from the Esplanade whereafter we push to the prior European Polonia quarter with lots of beautiful villa’s. We pass by the army excercition areas where once Mata Hari dwelt, via the old court of justice and the former house of the Resident of East Sumatra construct in 1898. Via fine samples of Amsterdam School Architecture like the Immanuel School from 1938 and the prior research station for the tobacco at Jalan Diponegoro, we proceed to the Indian quarter at which in former times the Indian population used to reside. The quarter is connected to the Medan Baru quarter via the Tjong Yong Hian bridge construct in 1917. The tour carries on via the residence of the Governor of North Sumatra (1939), the at Amsterdam School of Architecture style construct Elisabeth Hospital (1930) and ends with the impressive office of the Amsterdam Trading Company finished in 1924.